Thursday, August 27, 2026

Supreme Court Reflection



The Supreme Court is made up of nine Justices who interpret the Constitution.

Before watching this documentary, I mostly thought of the Supreme Court as a place where major legal battles end. What stood out to me was how much the Court depends on public trust, not just legal authority.

The process starts long before a case reaches the courtroom.

Thousands of petitions are submitted every year, but only a small number are accepted. The justices review those petitions privately and focus on legal questions, not disputes about facts.

I was surprised by how few people have actually served on the Court. Only about 100 justices have held the position in American history, and many stay on the bench long after the presidents who appointed them have left office.

John Marshall
The documentary also spent significant time on the Court’s history.

John Marshall’s leadership and Marbury v. Madison established judicial review, giving the Court the power to strike down acts of Congress. At the same time, the film did not avoid discussing mistakes such as the Dred Scott decision, which it described as a self-inflicted wound that was eventually addressed through the Civil War and constitutional amendments. 

One of the most interesting parts was seeing how the justices work together.

Despite their disagreements, traditions such as shaking hands before conferences are meant to preserve respect and prevent personal grudges. The discussions themselves appear thoughtful and structured, with justices sometimes changing their positions after hearing colleagues’ arguments.

The documentary also challenged the idea that the Court is secretive.

According to the justices interviewed, the real explanation for decisions is found in the written opinions. Oral arguments are public, and the written opinions explain the reasoning that guides lower courts in future cases.

In the end, the central message was clear.

The Supreme Court has no army and no ability to enforce its decisions on its own. Its influence comes from people accepting its authority and believing in its role as an independent interpreter of the Constitution. As the documentary emphasized, the Court’s greatest power is the trust it has earned over generations.


AI Disclaimer: The post was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a 20-minute video about the U.S. Supreme Court, in addition to the facts that I learned. I emphasized my own reactions and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources and appropriate images and captions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment