| Our digital footprints are always being tracked. |
Before watching these videos, I knew privacy was becoming a bigger issue, but I didn't realize how much information about our lives is collected every day.
What surprised me most was learning that surveillance is not just focused on people who have committed crimes. Technologies like automatic license plate readers collect information on everyone, creating records of where people have been and storing that data even if they have done nothing wrong. The example of a man being photographed with his two daughters in his own driveway really stuck with me because it showed how even ordinary moments can end up in a database.
| Students on Social Media |
These issues affect me because, like most college students, I use technology constantly. My phone is always with me; I use social media every day, and I rarely stop to think about how much information I am sharing. The videos made me realize that my friends and family are in the same position.
We leave digital footprints wherever we go, whether it is through our phones, online accounts, or social media posts. It is honestly a little unsettling to think that information about where we go, who we spend time with, and what we do online could be collected and stored without us even realizing it.
| Facebook |
I think the government should place stricter limits on how long data can be stored and create more oversight over surveillance programs. At the same time, we need to be more careful about what we share online. These videos made me realize that privacy is much more fragile than I once thought, and once information becomes digital, getting that privacy back may be impossible.
AI Disclaimer: The post was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I emphasized my own reactions and opinions while watching a video on privacy and surveillance. I then asked Copilot to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources and appropriate images and captions.
No comments:
Post a Comment